5-8 medium apples
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Wash, peel and core apples. Cut into chunks. Cook with water until tender. Drain and save 1/2 cup of liquid from apples. Put cornstarch and salt in 1 quart saucepan. Add apple syrup gradually and cook until thick and clear. Add sugar gradually and cook over medium heat until clear. Add lemon juice and pour over apples. Let stand while preparing the pie crust in the pan.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup water
- Put the flour, salt and sugar into a food processor and pulse once or twice.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture looks grainy.
- Then slowly, while pulsing, add the water until you can form the dough by pressing it between your fingers.
- Put the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- Split into two pieces and wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before using.
- Dough can be made ahead for up to one week.